AI Project To Attempt to Detect COVID from Images

In this tutorial, you will learn how to automatically detect COVID-19 in a hand-created X-ray image dataset using Keras, TensorFlow, and Deep Learning.

Like most people in the world right now, I’m genuinely concerned about COVID-19. I find myself constantly analyzing my personal health and wondering if/when I will contract it.

The more I worry about it, the more it turns into a painful mind game of legitimate symptoms combined with hypochondria:

• I woke up this morning feeling a bit achy and run down.
  • As I pulled myself out of bed, I noticed my nose was running (although it’s now reported that a runny nose is not a symptom of COVID-19).
  • By the time I made it to the bathroom to grab a tissue, I was coughing as well.

At first, I didn’t think much of it — I have pollen allergies and due to the warm weather on the eastern coast of the United States, spring has come early this year. My allergies were likely just acting up.

But my symptoms didn’t improve throughout the day.

I’m actually sitting here, writing the this tutorial, with a thermometer in my mouth; and glancing down I see that it reads 99.4° Fahrenheit.

My body runs a bit cooler than most, typically in the 97.4°F range. Anything above 99°F is a low-grade fever for me.

Cough and low-grade fever? That could be COVID-19…or it could simply be my allergies.

It’s impossible to know without a test, and that “not knowing” is what makes this situation so scary from a visceral human level.

As humans, there is nothing more terrifying than the unknown.

Despite my anxieties, I try to rationalize them away. I’m in my early 30s, very much in shape, and my immune system is strong. I’ll quarantine myself (just in case), rest up, and pull through just fine — COVID-19 doesn’t scare me from my own personal health perspective (at least that’s what I keep telling myself).

That said, I am worried about my older relatives, including anyone that has pre-existing conditions, or those in a nursing home or hospital. They are vulnerable and it would be truly devastating to see them go due to COVID-19.

Instead of sitting idly by and letting whatever is ailing me keep me down (be it allergies, COVID-19, or my own personal anxieties), I decided to do what I do best — focus on the overall CV/DL community by writing code, running experiments, and educating others on how to use computer vision and deep learning in practical, real-world applications.

That said, I’ll be honest, this is not the most scientific article I’ve ever written. Far from it, in fact. The methods and datasets used would not be worthy of publication. But they serve as a starting point for those who need to feel like they’re doing something to help.

I care about you and I care about this community. I want to do what I can to help — this blog post is my way of mentally handling a tough time, while simultaneously helping others in a similar situation.

I hope you see it as such.

Inside of today’s tutorial, you will learn how to:

1. Sample an open source dataset of X-ray images for patients who have tested positive for COVID-19
  2. Sample “normal” (i.e., not infected) X-ray images from healthy patients
  3. Train a CNN to automatically detect COVID-19 in X-ray images via the dataset we created
  4. Evaluate the results from an educational perspective

Disclaimer: I’ve hinted at this already but I’ll say it explicitly here. The methods and techniques used in this post are meant for educational purposes only. This is not a scientifically rigorous study, nor will it be published in a journal. This article is for readers who are interested in (1) Computer Vision/Deep Learning and want to learn via practical, hands-on methods and (2) are inspired by current events. I kindly ask that you treat it as such.

To learn how you could detect COVID-19 in X-ray images by using Keras, TensorFlow, and Deep Learning, just keep reading!

Looking for the source code to this post?

JUMP RIGHT TO THE DOWNLOADS SECTION

Detecting COVID-19 in X-ray images with Keras, TensorFlow, and Deep Learning

In the first part of this tutorial, we’ll discuss how COVID-19 could be detected in chest X-rays of patients.

From there, we’ll review our COVID-19 chest X-ray dataset.

I’ll then show you how to train a deep learning model using Keras and TensorFlow to predict COVID-19 in our image dataset.

Disclaimer

This blog post on automatic COVID-19 detection is for educational purposes only. It is not meant to be a reliable, highly accurate COVID-19 diagnosis system, nor has it been professionally or academically vetted.

My goal is simply to inspire you and open your eyes to how studying computer vision/deep learning and then applying that knowledge to the medical field can make a big impact on the world.

Simply put: You don’t need a degree in medicine to make an impact in the medical field — deep learning practitioners working closely with doctors and medical professionals can solve complex problems, save lives, and make the world a better place.

My hope is that this tutorial inspires you to do just that.

But with that said, researchers, journal curators, and peer review systems are being overwhelmed with submissions containing COVID-19 prediction models of questionable quality. Please do not take the code/model from this post and submit it to a journal or Open Science you’ll only add to the noise.

Furthermore, if you intend on performing research using this post (or any other COVID-19 article you find online), make sure you refer to the TRIPOD guidelines on reporting predictive models.

As you’re likely aware, artificial intelligence applied to the medical domain can have very real consequences. Only publish or deploy such models if you are a medical expert, or closely consulting with one.

How could COVID-19 be detected in X-ray images?

Figure 1: Example of an X-ray image taken from a patient with a positive test for COVID-19. Using X-ray images we can train a machine learning classifier to detect COVID-19 using Keras and TensorFlow.

COVID-19 tests are currently hard to come by — there are simply not enough of them and they cannot be manufactured fast enough, which is causing panic.

When there’s panic, there are nefarious people looking to take advantage of others, namely by selling fake COVID-19 test kits after finding victims on social media platforms and chat applications.

Given that there are limited COVID-19 testing kits, we need to rely on other diagnosis measures.

For the purposes of this tutorial, I thought to explore X-ray images as doctors frequently use X-rays and CT scans to diagnose pneumonia, lung inflammation, abscesses, and/or enlarged lymph nodes.

Since COVID-19 attacks the epithelial cells that line our respiratory tract, we can use X-rays to analyze the health of a patient’s lungs.

And given that nearly all hospitals have X-ray imaging machines, it could be possible to use X-rays to test for COVID-19 without the dedicated test kits.

A drawback is that X-ray analysis requires a radiology expert and takes significant time — which is precious when people are sick around the world. Therefore developing an automated analysis system is required to save medical professionals valuable time.

Note: There are newer publications that suggest CT scans are better for diagnosing COVID-19, but all we have to work with for this tutorial is an X-ray image dataset. Secondly, I am not a medical expert and I presume there are other, more reliable, methods that doctors and medical professionals will use to detect COVID-19 outside of the dedicated test kits.

Our COVID-19 patient X-ray image dataset

Figure 2: CoronaVirus (COVID-19) chest X-ray image data. On the left we have positive (i.e., infected) X-ray images, whereas on the right we have negative samples. These images are used to train a deep learning model with TensorFlow and Keras to automatically predict whether a patient has COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus).

The COVID-19 X-ray image dataset we’ll be using for this tutorial was curated by Dr. Joseph Cohen, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Montreal.

One week ago, Dr. Cohen started collecting X-ray images of COVID-19 cases and publishing them in the following GitHub repo.

Inside the repo you’ll find example of COVID-19 cases, we well as MERS, SARS, and ARDS.

In order to create the COVID-19 X-ray image dataset for this tutorial, I:

1. Parsed the

metadata.csv

file found in Dr. Cohen’s repository.
2. Selected all rows that are:

1. Positive for COVID-19 (i.e., ignoring MERS, SARS, and ARDS cases).
  2. Posterioranterior (PA) view of the lungs. I used the PA view as, to my knowledge, that was the view used for my “healthy” cases, as discussed below; however, I’m sure that a medical professional will be able clarify and correct me if I am incorrect (which I very well may be, this is just an example).

In total, that left me with 25 X-ray images of positive COVID-19 cases ( Figure 2 , left).

The next step was to sample X-ray images of healthy patients.

To do so, I used Kaggle’s Chest X-Ray Images (Pneumonia) dataset and sampled 25 X-ray images from healthy patients ( Figure 2 , right ). There are a number of problems with Kaggle’s Chest X-Ray dataset, namely noisy/incorrect labels, but it served as a good enough starting point for this proof of concept COVID-19 detector.

After gathering my dataset, I was left with 50 total images , equally split with 25 images of COVID-19 positive X-rays and 25 images of healthy patient X-rays.

I’ve included my sample dataset in the “Downloads” section of this tutorial, so you do not have to recreate it.

Additionally, I have included my Python scripts used to generate the dataset in the downloads as well, but these scripts will not be reviewed in this tutorial as they are outside the scope of the post.

Project structure

Go ahead and grab today’s code and data from the “Downloads” section of this tutorial. From there, extract the files and you’ll be presented with the following directory structure:

$ tree --dirsfirst --filelimit 10

├── dataset

│ ├── covid [25 entries]

│ └── normal [25 entries]

├── build_covid_dataset.py

├── sample_kaggle_dataset.py

├── train_covid19.py

├── plot.png

└── covid19.model

3 directories, 5 files

Our coronavirus (COVID-19) chest X-ray data is in the

dataset/

directory where our two classes of data are separated into

covid/

and

normal/

Both of my dataset building scripts are provided; however, we will not be reviewing them today.

Instead, we will review the

train_covid19.py

script which trains our COVID-19 detector.

Let’s dive in and get to work!

Implementing our COVID-19 training script using Keras and TensorFlow

Now that we’ve reviewed our image dataset along with the corresponding directory structure for our project, let’s move on to fine-tuning a Convolutional Neural Network to automatically diagnose COVID-19 using Keras, TensorFlow, and deep learning.

Open up the

train_covid19.py

file in your directory structure and insert the following code:

import the necessary packages

from tensorflow.keras.preprocessing.image import ImageDataGenerator

from tensorflow.keras.applications import VGG16

from tensorflow.keras.layers import AveragePooling2D

from tensorflow.keras.layers import Dropout

from tensorflow.keras.layers import Flatten

from tensorflow.keras.layers import Dense

from tensorflow.keras.layers import Input

from tensorflow.keras.models import Model

from tensorflow.keras.optimizers import Adam

from tensorflow.keras.utils import to_categorical

from sklearn.preprocessing import LabelBinarizer

from sklearn.model_selection import train_test_split

from sklearn.metrics import classification_report

from sklearn.metrics import confusion_matrix

from imutils import paths

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

import numpy as np

import argparse

import cv2

import os

This script takes advantage of TensorFlow 2.0 and Keras deep learning libraries via a selection of

tensorflow.keras

imports.

Additionally, we use scikit-learn, the de facto Python library for machine learning, matplotlib for plotting, and OpenCV for loading and preprocessing images in the dataset.

To learn how to install TensorFlow 2.0 (including relevant scikit-learn, OpenCV, and matplotlib libraries), just follow my Ubuntu or macOS guide.

With our imports taken care of, next we will parse command line arguments and initialize hyperparameters:

construct the argument parser and parse the arguments

ap = argparse.ArgumentParser()

ap.add_argument("-d", “–dataset”, required=True,

help=“path to input dataset”)

ap.add_argument("-p", “–plot”, type=str, default=“plot.png”,

help=“path to output loss/accuracy plot”)

ap.add_argument("-m", “–model”, type=str, default=“covid19.model”,

help=“path to output loss/accuracy plot”)

args = vars(ap.parse_args())

initialize the initial learning rate, number of epochs to train for,

and batch size

INIT_LR = 1e-3

EPOCHS = 25

BS = 8

Our three command line arguments ( Lines 24-31 ) include:

• –dataset

: The path to our input dataset of chest X-ray images.

• –plot

: An optional path to an output training history plot. By default the plot is named

plot.png

unless otherwise specified via the command line.

• –model

: The optional path to our output COVID-19 model; by default it will be named

covid19.model

From there we initialize our initial learning rate, number of training epochs, and batch size hyperparameters ( Lines 35-37 ).

We’re now ready to load and preprocess our X-ray data:

grab the list of images in our dataset directory, then initialize

the list of data (i.e., images) and class images

print("[INFO] loading images…")

imagePaths = list(paths.list_images(args[“dataset”]))

data = []

labels = []

loop over the image paths

for imagePath in imagePaths:

extract the class label from the filename

label = imagePath.split(os.path.sep)[-2]

load the image, swap color channels, and resize it to be a fixed

224x224 pixels while ignoring aspect ratio

image = cv2.imread(imagePath)

image = cv2.cvtColor(image, cv2.COLOR_BGR2RGB)

image = cv2.resize(image, (224, 224))

update the data and labels lists, respectively

data.append(image)

labels.append(label)

convert the data and labels to NumPy arrays while scaling the pixel

intensities to the range [0, 1]

data = np.array(data) / 255.0

labels = np.array(labels)

To load our data, we grab all paths to images in in the

–dataset

directory ( Lines 42 ). Then, for each

imagePath

, we:

• Extract the class

label

(either

covid

or

normal

) from the path ( Line 49 ).

• Load the

, and preprocess it by converting to RGB channel ordering, and resizing it to 224×224 pixels so that it is ready for our Convolutional Neural Network ( Lines 53-55 ).

• Update our

data

and

labels

lists respectively ( Lines 58 and 59 ).

We then scale pixel intensities to the range [0, 1] and convert both our

data

and

labels

to NumPy array format ( Lines 63 and 64 ).

Next we will one-hot encode our

labels

and create our training/testing splits:

perform one-hot encoding on the labels

lb = LabelBinarizer()

labels = lb.fit_transform(labels)

labels = to_categorical(labels); print(labels)

partition the data into training and testing splits using 80% of

the data for training and the remaining 20% for testing

(trainX, testX, trainY, testY) = train_test_split(data, labels,

test_size=0.20, stratify=labels, random_state=42)

initialize the training data augmentation object

trainAug = ImageDataGenerator(

rotation_range=15,

fill_mode=“nearest”)

One-hot encoding of

labels

takes place on Lines 67-69 meaning that our data will be in the following format:

[[0. 1.]

[0. 1.]

[0. 1.]

[1. 0.]

[1. 0.]

[1. 0.]]

Each encoded label consists of a two element array with one of the elements being “hot” (i.e.,

) versus “not” (i.e.,

).

Lines 73 and 74 then construct our data split, reserving 80% of the data for training and 20% for testing.

In order to ensure that our model generalizes, we perform data augmentation by setting the random image rotation setting to 15 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.

Lines 77-79 initialize the data augmentation generator object.

From here we will initialize our VGGNet model and set it up for fine-tuning:

load the VGG16 network, ensuring the head FC layer sets are left

off

baseModel = VGG16(weights=“imagenet”, include_top=False,

input_tensor=Input(shape=(224, 224, 3)))

construct the head of the model that will be placed on top of the

the base model

headModel = baseModel.output

headModel = AveragePooling2D(pool_size=(4, 4))(headModel)

headModel = Flatten(name=“flatten”)(headModel)

headModel = Dense(64, activation=“relu”)(headModel)

headModel = Dropout(0.5)(headModel)

headModel = Dense(2, activation=“softmax”)(headModel)

place the head FC model on top of the base model (this will become

the actual model we will train)

model = Model(inputs=baseModel.input, outputs=headModel)

loop over all layers in the base model and freeze them so they will

not be updated during the first training process

for layer in baseModel.layers:

layer.trainable = False

Lines 83 and 84 instantiate the VGG16 network with weights pre-trained on ImageNet, leaving off the FC layer head.

From there, we construct a new fully-connected layer head consisting of

POOL => FC = SOFTMAX

layers ( Lines 88-93 ) and append it on top of VGG16 ( Line 97 ).

We then freeze the

CONV

weights of VGG16 such that only the

FC

layer head will be trained ( Lines 101-102 ); this completes our fine-tuning setup.

We’re now ready to compile and train our COVID-19 (coronavirus) deep learning model:

compile our model

print("[INFO] compiling model…")

opt = Adam(lr=INIT_LR, decay=INIT_LR / EPOCHS)

model.compile(loss=“binary_crossentropy”, optimizer=opt,

metrics=[“accuracy”])

train the head of the network

print("[INFO] training head…")

H = model.fit_generator(

trainAug.flow(trainX, trainY, batch_size=BS),

steps_per_epoch=len(trainX) // BS,

validation_data=(testX, testY),

validation_steps=len(testX) // BS,

epochs=EPOCHS)

Lines 106-108 compile the network with learning rate decay and the

Adam

optimizer. Given that this is a 2-class problem, we use

“binary_crossentropy”

loss rather than categorical crossentropy.

To kick off our COVID-19 neural network training process, we make a call to Keras’ fit_generator method, while passing in our chest X-ray data via our data augmentation object ( Lines 112-117 ).

Next, we’ll evaluate our model:

make predictions on the testing set

print("[INFO] evaluating network…")

predIdxs = model.predict(testX, batch_size=BS)

for each image in the testing set we need to find the index of the

label with corresponding largest predicted probability

predIdxs = np.argmax(predIdxs, axis=1)

show a nicely formatted classification report

print(classification_report(testY.argmax(axis=1), predIdxs,

target_names=lb.classes_))

For evaluation, we first make predictions on the testing set and grab the prediction indices ( Lines 121-125 ).

We then generate and print out a classification report using scikit-learn’s helper utility ( Lines 128 and 129 ).

Next we’ll compute a confusion matrix for further statistical evaluation:

compute the confusion matrix and and use it to derive the raw

accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity

cm = confusion_matrix(testY.argmax(axis=1), predIdxs)

total = sum(sum(cm))

acc = (cm[0, 0] + cm[1, 1]) / total

sensitivity = cm[0, 0] / (cm[0, 0] + cm[0, 1])

specificity = cm[1, 1] / (cm[1, 0] + cm[1, 1])

show the confusion matrix, accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity

print(cm)

print(“acc: {:.4f}”.format(acc))

print(“sensitivity: {:.4f}”.format(sensitivity))

print(“specificity: {:.4f}”.format(specificity))

Here we:

• Generate a confusion matrix ( Line 133 )
  • Use the confusion matrix to derive the accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity ( Lines 135-137 ) and print each of these metrics ( Lines 141-143 )

We then plot our training accuracy/loss history for inspection, outputting the plot to an image file:

plot the training loss and accuracy

N = EPOCHS

plt.style.use(“ggplot”)

plt.figure()

plt.plot(np.arange(0, N), H.history[“loss”], label=“train_loss”)

plt.plot(np.arange(0, N), H.history[“val_loss”], label=“val_loss”)

plt.plot(np.arange(0, N), H.history[“accuracy”], label=“train_acc”)

plt.plot(np.arange(0, N), H.history[“val_accuracy”], label=“val_acc”)

plt.title(“Training Loss and Accuracy on COVID-19 Dataset”)

plt.xlabel(“Epoch #”)

plt.ylabel(“Loss/Accuracy”)

plt.legend(loc=“lower left”)

plt.savefig(args[“plot”])

Finally we serialize our

tf.keras

COVID-19 classifier model to disk:

serialize the model to disk

print("[INFO] saving COVID-19 detector model…")

model.save(args[“model”], save_format=“h5”)

Training our COVID-19 detector with Keras and TensorFlow

With our

train_covid19.py

script implemented, we are now ready to train our automatic COVID-19 detector.

Make sure you use the “Downloads” section of this tutorial to download the source code, COVID-19 X-ray dataset, and pre-trained model.

From there, open up a terminal and execute the following command to train the COVID-19 detector:

$ python train_covid19.py --dataset dataset

[INFO] loading images…

[INFO] compiling model…

[INFO] training head…

Epoch 1/25

5/5 [==============================] - 20s 4s/step - loss: 0.7169 - accuracy: 0.6000 - val_loss: 0.6590 - val_accuracy: 0.5000

Epoch 2/25

5/5 [==============================] - 0s 86ms/step - loss: 0.8088 - accuracy: 0.4250 - val_loss: 0.6112 - val_accuracy: 0.9000

Epoch 3/25

5/5 [==============================] - 0s 99ms/step - loss: 0.6809 - accuracy: 0.5500 - val_loss: 0.6054 - val_accuracy: 0.5000

Epoch 4/25

5/5 [==============================] - 1s 100ms/step - loss: 0.6723 - accuracy: 0.6000 - val_loss: 0.5771 - val_accuracy: 0.6000

Epoch 22/25

5/5 [==============================] - 0s 99ms/step - loss: 0.3271 - accuracy: 0.9250 - val_loss: 0.2902 - val_accuracy: 0.9000

Epoch 23/25

5/5 [==============================] - 0s 99ms/step - loss: 0.3634 - accuracy: 0.9250 - val_loss: 0.2690 - val_accuracy: 0.9000

Epoch 24/25

5/5 [==============================] - 27s 5s/step - loss: 0.3175 - accuracy: 0.9250 - val_loss: 0.2395 - val_accuracy: 0.9000

Epoch 25/25

5/5 [==============================] - 1s 101ms/step - loss: 0.3655 - accuracy: 0.8250 - val_loss: 0.2522 - val_accuracy: 0.9000

[INFO] evaluating network…

precision recall f1-score support

covid 0.83 1.00 0.91 5

normal 1.00 0.80 0.89 5

accuracy 0.90 10

macro avg 0.92 0.90 0.90 10

weighted avg 0.92 0.90 0.90 10

[[5 0]

[1 4]]

acc: 0.9000

sensitivity: 1.0000

specificity: 0.8000

[INFO] saving COVID-19 detector model…

Automatic COVID-19 diagnosis from X-ray image results

Disclaimer: The following section does not claim, nor does it intend to “solve”, COVID-19 detection. It is written in the context, and from the results, of this tutorial only. It is an example for budding computer vision and deep learning practitioners so they can learn about various metrics, including raw accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity (and the tradeoffs we must consider when working with medical applications). Again, this section/tutorial does not claim to solve COVID-19 detection.

As you can see from the results above, our automatic COVID-19 detector is obtaining ~90-92% accuracy on our sample dataset based solely on X-ray images — no other data, including geographical location, population density, etc. was used to train this model.

We are also obtaining 100% sensitivity and 80% specificity implying that:

• Of patients that do have COVID-19 (i.e., true positives), we could accurately identify them as “COVID-19 positive” 100% of the time using our model.
  • Of patients that do not have COVID-19 (i.e., true negatives), we could accurately identify them as “COVID-19 negative” only 80% of the time using our model.

As our training history plot shows, our network is not overfitting, despite having very limited training data:

Figure 3: This deep learning training history plot showing accuracy and loss curves demonstrates that our model is not overfitting despite limited COVID-19 X-ray training data used in our Keras/TensorFlow model.

Being able to accurately detect COVID-19 with 100% accuracy is great; however, our true negative rate is a bit concerning — we don’t want to classify someone as “COVID-19 negative” when they are “COVID-19 positive”.

In fact, the last thing we want to do is tell a patient they are COVID-19 negative, and then have them go home and infect their family and friends; thereby transmitting the disease further.

We also want to be really careful with our false positive rate — we don’t want to mistakenly classify someone as “COVID-19 positive” , quarantine them with other COVID-19 positive patients, and then infect a person who never actually had the virus.

Balancing sensitivity and specificity is incredibly challenging when it comes to medical applications, especially infectious diseases that can be rapidly transmitted, such as COVID-19.

When it comes to medical computer vision and deep learning, we must always be mindful of the fact that our predictive models can have very real consequences — a missed diagnosis can cost lives .

Again, these results are gathered for educational purposes only. This article and accompanying results are not intended to be a journal article nor does it conform to the TRIPOD guidelines on reporting predictive models. I would suggest you refer to these guidelines for more information, if you are so interested.

Limitations, improvements, and future work

Figure 4: Currently, artificial intelligence (AI) experts and deep learning practitioners are suffering from a lack of quality COVID-19 data to effectively train automatic image-based detection systems. (image source)

One of the biggest limitations of the method discussed in this tutorial is data.

We simply don’t have enough (reliable) data to train a COVID-19 detector.

Hospitals are already overwhelmed with the number of COVID-19 cases, and given patients rights and confidentiality, it becomes even harder to assemble quality medical image datasets in a timely fashion.

I imagine in the next 12-18 months we’ll have more high quality COVID-19 image datasets; but for the time being, we can only make do with what we have.

I have done my best (given my current mental state and physical health) to put together a tutorial for my readers who are interested in applying computer vision and deep learning to the COVID-19 pandemic given my limited time and resources; however, I must remind you that I am not a trained medical expert.

For the COVID-19 detector to be deployed in the field, it would have to go through rigorous testing by trained medical professionals, working hand-in-hand with expert deep learning practitioners. The method covered here today is certainly not such a method, and is meant for educational purposes only.